The Old Watch House and Roman Bath in Strand Lane
Posted in 1800-1899, Pre-1700 and tagged with building, churches, construction and demolition, contemporary, crime and punishment, houses, monuments, tourism, walking
The so-called ‘Roman’ bath, though not the buildings over it, dates from the early seventeenth century. The Watch House (the white building with the balcony) once belonging to St Clement Danes, looks early nineteenth century in its present form, but there are documents to show that there was a building of this shape (projecting over the Lane) already in 1724, and a St Clement Danes Watch House on the Lane already in 1607.
The patch of brickwork at bottom left, directly under the Watch House outer wall, is seventeenth century and the last bit of the old Somerset House still visible above ground level.
Leave a Comment